By Liz Aitken
Although there is a huge range of sewing and embroidery machines on the market for the home sewer, the Brother CS6000i Computerized Sewing Machine is featured here because of it’s consistent popularity on Amazon.com throughout 2012 – and still in 2013. Why? … Simple. It offers incredible value for money. Compare the price then read about all the features.
So many features for so little!
- The Brother CS6000i is most suitable to learn on as it’s a really easy machine to master.
- If you’re a seasoned sewer you’ll still be satisfied – you won’t outgrow it any time soon.
- For this price you just won’t find another machine with any where near this number of features.
This is a bargain and getting such good value for money for a quality machine means you’ll have money left over to spend on other things – like material for example. Because the Brother CS6000i is ‘sew affordable’ you won’t end up feeling guilty if you don’t end up using it as much as you thought you might, because you haven’t spent a large amount of money in the first place.
Features of the BROTHER CS6000i Computerized Sewing Machine
This “Sew Affordable” machine is packed full of features
• Easy to read LCD display – tells you all about your stitch selection and more
• with button control stitch selection
• 7 presser feet included – including 3 specialty feet
• 60 built-in stitches – many are great for free motion embroidery
• 7 one step buttonhole styles for different weight fabrics, including keyhole style
• Easy automatic needle threading
• Easy drop in ‘Quick-Set’ bobbin
• See through bobbin cover – so you know if you’re running short on bobbin thread
• Electronic speed control – use your finger or your foot
• A sewing speed of up to 850 stitches per minute – get those long seams through quicker
• A Free-arm for sleeves and awkward corners
• A removable table for larger projects like quilting or curtains
• 1-touch start/stop and reverse functions – you don’t have to use the foot pedal
• Automatic thread tension plus you have extra control with an adjusting dial
• Automatic thread cutter
• Variable needle position – you can choose where you want it to stop!
• Vertical thread delivery
• Second spool pin for twin needle sewing – give it a go!
• Presser foot lever control with 3 height settings for quilting, for example
• Built in manual thread cutter if you don’t want to use the automatic one
• Built in accessory storage – but it’s not big. You may want to store accessories elsewhere.
• A hard cover to protect the machine from dust
• Standard accessories such as a set of needles, a twin needle, 3 spool caps, a spool pin, 3 bobbins, a cleaning brush, a seam ripper, a screwdriver and an eyelet punch
Obviously an Operation Manual is included
With so many features included in the Brother CS6000i computerized sewing machine, you won’t need to spend any thing more to set yourself up once you buy it. With other sewing machines you often need to go and buy other feet or the table for working on bigger projects like curtain making, but with the CS6000i, these items are included. Of course this means that you will be able to get sewing a lot quicker – and we all want to start creating when we get a new “toy” like this. Even if you decide that you want more bobbins than are provided, they are readily available (and I suggest you purchase some along with your machine). This way you can have a bobbin for every color of thread that you use regularly.
The Brother CS6000i is “Sew Easy” To Use
Brother USA use this expression, because this computerized sewing machine is so easy to master that it is a terrific machine for a beginner to start on. You shouldn’t need to go through a long learning curve or attend lessons. It is very easy to understand the different features like stitch selection because the easy to read LCD panel will display all the information you need to know. if something is amiss, you will see an error message on the screen, and there is even a help menu if this situation arises.
Automatic Needle Threader
The automatic needle threader is a boon if you have sight problems. Actually it will not only help prevent eye strain,but it means that you don’t have that fiddly job of trying to get hold of exactly the right part of the end of your piece of thread with your fingers so as to line it up with the needle. This is a real time saver.
Another great feature of this sewing machine is that it weighs so little at only 13lbs. This means you can move it to use it, and you don’t have to have a set sewing “place”. You could spend the day sewing on the kitchen table and you can easily hide it when the house needs to be neat. Being so light, you can take your sewing machine with you if you are sewing for other people such as family members, or if you choose to do some quilting classes, for example.
Read The Instruction Manual
The instruction manual will tell you everything you need to know; one of which is that you need to use quality thread. Some people have complained about the machine jamming, but this is only likely to happen if you use cheap thread which is coarse and doesn’t run smoothly through the machine. Because it is so light, some people have found that the machine can move around the table. Mind you, I was always taught to put my machine on a mat or soft cloth anyway. I’m sure that would solve the problem.
One Important Point
We tend to forget that our sewing machine is not an enclosed gadget like our mobile phone, and can be tempted to ignore the fact that it will still need just a little maintenance from time to time. It’s also easy to forget to take safety precautions. Read this post on care and maintenance of your sewing machine.
Guarantees and Refunds – A 25 year Warranty!
When you buy a product like through Amazon, they are renowned for their good return policy and Brother International are historically known for their excellent service. The Brother CS6000i computerized sewing machine comes with a 25 year warranty. You don’t often get anything like that for such a small sum in this day and age!
With the Brother CS6000i, it is just so easy to learn on that you would be able to pick up enough tips to make something simple just by searching You Tube.
If You Are Thinking About A Serger
Once you become accustomed to sewing and begin to set higher standards for yourself, many sewers decide to make their next purchase a serger. The Brother 1034d Serger is the runaway favorite on Amazon – actually being very close to the top of the best seller list in the whole “Sewing Machine” category. You can find out more about how you could make good use of a serger by reading this post.
If You Want To Extend Into Embroidery
The CS6000i is a great machine for straight forward sewing. And you are able to do lots of extra things such as twin needle stitching and even heirloom sewing. One great feature is that you are able to drop the feed dogs so that you can do free motion embroidery. If, however you want to try genuine embroidery, the Brother SE400 is a combination Sewing and Embroidery Machine.
Maybe you are even ready to move to a dedicated embroidery machine. The most popular one on the market at present is the Brother PE770.
You can also learn about the various sewing and embroidery machines for sale and reviewed on this website. The Brother CS6000i is the best value money can buy for an entry level machine.