By Liz Aitken
Your Entry Into The World Of Embroidery: A fantastic combination embroidery and sewing machine for both experienced sewers and beginners alike. The Brother SE400 is an ideal machine if you are not yet convinced that you need a dedicated embroidery machine. If you are just starting out in the world of embroidery, this is a great option because it is a quality sewing machine with the added bonus of the embroidery mechanism. You’re not forking out a fortune to try your hand at this new craft, and you have a really high quality sewing machine. Read more detail about the features of the Brother SE400 here.
Dream it – then Make it
COMPARE SE400 PRICES
- Amazon: $296.24 Free shipping – all done – WAY CHEAPER!
- Walmart: $296.24 Plus tax +shipping to closest store – more to your door
- eBay: $379.99 Plus shipping (why would you?)
- Allbrands: $399.00 Plus shipping (save the money – spend it on quality thread)
The Brother SE400 is Brother’s upgrade from the SE350 but now with the ability to connect the machine to your computer via a USB cable. The machine has a large LCD screen which gives you all the information you could possibly need about the stitch you choose along with instructions to help you use various functions.
Read below for some genuine feedback – the pros and cons of the Brother SE400.
The Sewing Side
The Brother SE400 offers a superior sewing machine with 67 built in stitches which can create almost 100 different stitch functions. It has a free arm for those awkward sewing jobs like putting in sleeves, and a brightly lit work area. The quick-set drop in bobbin means that you don’t have to draw up the lower bobbin thread and there are seven presser feet for different sewing functions. Read more detail about all the features offered with the Brother SE400 here.
The Embroidery Side
Because the Brother SE400 is computerized, you are able to import a myriad of designs in from the Internet via a USB cable. The machine already comes with 70 designs built in as well as 5 lettering fonts and 120 frame patterns, but having the computer connectivity means the world of embroidery is at your fingertips.
This machine is ideal if you are a first time embroiderer and not sure how much embroidery you will use the machine for. At least you’re not forking out so much that if you decide embroidery is not for you, you don’t need to feel bad. However, as an embroidery machine the SE400 produces quality stitches, has an easy learning curve and will embroider designs up to 4″x4″. Once you decide that embroidery is for you, you may decide to upgrade to a dedicated embroidery machine such as the Brother PE770.
Feedback from Users
Some Cons To Be Aware Of
- The machine is only made to embroider to a max 4″x4″. There are ways to get around this, but you might find it limiting.
- You really MUST use quality thread and the right needle for embroidery, otherwise the machine can catch cheap thread and jam.
- The SE400 only comes with a plastic cover – not a hard case
- The stitch speed of the Brother SE400 runs at a maximum 710 per minute. Now that’s pretty fast, but it’s worth comparing to your old machine
Watch how the owner of this Brother SE 400 uses it to make money from home!